Applying for citizenship? Make sure you have the right documents

Citizenship applications are very costly the fee is not refunded if your application is rejected, so it pays to make sure you are sending the right documents. The most common cause for rejections on the group has been applying with the wrong document, usually a Registration Certificate instead of a PR Card. In order to apply for citizenship, EEA nationals must have either:

If you have a blue cardholder, you need to look inside to make sure there is a PR card in there and not a registration certificate or another residence document. All the blue cardholders look pretty much the same from the outside.

If you are in any doubt whatsoever as to whether you have the right document, please post up on the group where the admins and lawyers can tell you whether you have the right thing before submitting your application.

PR card and RC

Left – registration certificate – NOT ACCEPTABLE Right – PR card – ACCEPTABLE

PR certification, Settled Status or ILR is STILL REQUIRED even if you apply based on marriage to a British national.

You also need to make sure you have everything else you need such as:

  • Evidence of satisfying the language requirement (or approved exemption)
  • Life in the UK test (or approved exemption)
  • Suitable evidence in residence for the relevant period (last 5 years or 3 if married to a British citizen).

  • If you have a PR card, you can use it to apply until the end of December 2020.
  • You can apply using ILR or Settled Status at any time, provided you meet the criteria.
  • Unless you are married to a British citizen you need to have had PR status or ILR for at least 12 months. If using Settled Status, you need to wait at least 12 months from the date you obtained the status. There is no deadline to apply with ILR or Settled Status.
  • If you are the spouse of a British citizen at the time you apply,  you do not need to wait.
  • You will also need additional evidence of residence for the last 5 years, or the last 3 if applying on the basis of marriage, unless you apply with old ILR or your PR card is over 5 (or 3) years old, in which case you need evidence from the issue date of your PR card or ILR stamp.